Common Windows Problems and How To Fix Them - Learn More About It
By Pete F Morgan
If you have been using your computer for some time now, chances are you experience common Windows problems, such as slow startup and reduced performance. So if you want to improve the functionality of your computer, see to it that you maintain it on a regular basis.
Too much junk file accumulation
For instance, you should clean your hard drive and get rid of old files, folders, programs, and shortcuts. Delete cached thumbnails, temporary files, and other unnecessary files to free up more space on your hard drive. To get rid of your junk files, simply do the following:
* If you are using Windows 7, go to your Start menu and click on Control Panel. The Start menu can be found at the bottom-left portion of your screen. If you are using Windows 8, you can type in "control panel" at your Start screen. The Control Panel icon will appear in your search results. Click on it.
* Then, you should go to your System and Security heading. Click on "free up disk space." Its link can be found under your Administrative Tools section.
* Within a few seconds, your Disk Cleanup utility will open and you will see a summary of your files. You will also see how much disk space your files are taking up. You can choose to delete these files.
* However, if you are not sure on which files to delete, you can simply rely on the files that Windows has checked. You can delete Downloaded Program files, which are mostly temporary files that help you view certain Web pages. You can also delete Temporary Internet Files, which are caches of old Web pages that have been stored on your PC to make your browsing quicker. Moreover, you can delete Thumbnails. These are small icons of photos, videos, and audio files on your hard drive. Simply click on "OK" to start cleanup.
* If you wish to get rid of more junk files, just click on "clean up system files." Your operating system will then go through your hard drive and search for old files and file fragments. Make sure to read the descriptions of the items that you have checked before deleting them. This way, you will know for sure if you really want to get rid of them. Once you made up your mind, click on "OK."
* See to it that you have a backup for your operating system, whether you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8.
If you want to purchase a software program to get rid of junk files, you may do so
"BSOD" and system errors
Other common Windows problems that you may encounter are the Blue Screen of Death or BSoD and missing dynamic-link library or "DLL" files. BSOD, also known as "STOP Error", can occur due to damaged software, failing hardware, driver problems, and corrupt DLL files.
* If you encounter this error, you should reboot your computer. You should also use the codes on your screen to help you determine and fix your computer problem.
* The Blue Screen of Death may also signify a problem with your random access memory or RAM. If you have another computer, you can use that to search for the solution online. However, if you cannot find the diagnosis information that you need, you can try to change your memory sticks. Just make sure that you use a similar type.
Dynamic-link library files contain information with regard to your operating system functions. If you have a corrupt or missing DLL file, you should download them in order to restore them back into your computer. For instance, if you see a mapi32.dll error, it could have been because you have a problem with your registry or you have malware on your computer. Also, the error may have been caused by installing another messaging software program. To fix this problem, you should download the DLL file from a legit source or run a malware scan on your computer.
Applications Malfunction and Other Abnormal Behavior
Another computer problem that you may have is abnormal applications behavior. One day your applications are working properly, and the next day they are not. This can be totally mind-boggling. So how can you fix this? Well, you may simply need to restart your computer. Microsoft Word, for instance, may appear differently on your screen even though it does not really have a problem. You may also want to check out your user manual or search the Internet to find a solution. You may also contact customer support.